Saturday, March 26, 2011

You've Got Mail


I have always loved getting mail, real mail, the kind that requires a stamp and a truck ride and a walk to the mailbox. Getting the mail was always my job as a kid (ok, and as a teenager) and God help the sibling who ever had the idea to do that job for me. In fact, I still love getting the mail. Although, the older I get and with electronic communication overtaking the world, it happens much less frequently than it once did.

What I love about mail, and any letter or note to be honest (it doesn't necessarily have to be delivered by the United States Postal Service), is that it takes time to write a letter. There is a certain quality of preparation and work that goes into a letter. And I feel like, since writing things down makes them more real, there is an added level of carefulness and intentionality in the words written down. All of which combines to make a letter--a little memory that you can hold and keep for as long as you wish. It goes without saying, that any letter not possessing the above qualities, doesn't quite hold the same weight in my mind.

That being said, the topic of today's challenge is something that means a lot to you, and for that I choose getting letters. Thanks to some amazing friends and family, over the years I've developed quite a collection of letters and notes that have brought boatloads of encouragement to me and have been a reminder of how God has blessed me with some really amazing relationships in my life. Those who know me at all, know I don't always "do emotions" very well, so letters (both writing and receiving) is a great way for me to deal with that little hiccup :)

No comments: