Monday, January 10, 2005

Love is in the Details

I was supposed to have class at 9 o'clock this morning, but after venturing over to Thurmond and getting notice that my class will not meet until Wednesday morning at 9, I have found myself all dressed up with no place to go. Therefore, I decided I should make my valiant return to my reading public and grace you with my thoughts for the moment.

Love is in the details.

The first time I heard that, well read it, was about a year or so ago in one of the BibleGeek's weekly emails. Since then it has been one of my favorite little phrases and its truth is revealed more and more to me. So, lets talk about love.

I think that in today's society, while everyone, at least in my opinion, has this longing for a greater kind of love that "can't eat, can't sleep, over the fence, world series kinda thing", very few are willing to wait for it and work for it.

I think a majority of the problem is the everyone is caught up in the feeling of love, the strictly noun version of the word or the verbal proclamation of love and forget that love is a verb, it is something that must be acted out on a daily basis.

Most people want the fairy tale, over the top kind of love...the kind that comes from every romantic comedy, romance novel, and even yes, fairy tales. Women, in particular, are waiting for their prince charming to come (which isn't completely bad) and profess his undying love in some huge romantic gesture. While these huge romantic gestures can be rather flattering and chocked full of good, loving intentions, when I think to moments that mean the most to me, things that really made me think about love, its the small things.

Love is in the details.

Think of the little things people have done that really stick out. It's the things like, remembering what classes you are taking or your favorite candy or mentioning something you brought up in a conversation. It's taking some of your favorite memories you mentioned in normal conversation and putting them into a song. It's sending you a little note (or in this day and age IM) wishing you to have a good day. It's paying attention to the things about ourselves that we often don't notice, that when they do go noticed, that make love happen...it's the details.

Therefore if God is love and love is in the details, God is particularly fond of details himself.

Of course there are the typical verses about how He knit us in the womb and knows every hair on our heads, but something that I am coming to learn is just how vast and detailed God's plan is for each and everyone of us.

Getting out of the egocentric aspect though, go outside and look around you...the earth we live on is a rather complex and beautiful thing, full of details. Every cloud in the sky that has the potential to bring a rain storm, every vein in every leaf on every tree is an amazing little system of channels that will feed the plant itself, the endless spectrum of colors found in a garden of flowers, the list goes on and on. Everything, not just us humans, is beautifully and amazingly made and if God cares THAT much to design every little aspect and facet of all creation in such a detailed form, I don't think it would hurt any of us to pay a little more attention to these details. Not just the details of the world around us, but the details in each other. Get specific and get love.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is deep stuff Brooke. and you know what it is so true. Love is in the little details that most people don't even pay attention too. You know what, I pay attention to those details and that is how love works. : ) Someday you will find that special person. : ) I have found mine.
Remember God loves us all more than anything else. : )
SB

Anonymous said...

First thing i want to say is "Amen to that." I agree on every level and also just realized this since i have been to college and getting out of a bad relationship. I have always payed close attention to details since then and at the point where I do it naturally. The only thing you need to watch out for is if you start to analyze the small things to much whether it's relationships(the most common), life or whatever. But keep on with the deep thoughts. I can always help elaborate on them . Here's lookin at you kid. H. Bogart