Sunday, December 05, 2004

Obedience

Lately I have been working my way through the books of Exodus and Acts, and if there is one message that rings loud and clear throughout my readings thus far, it's obedience.

Moses, to say the least, was a rather obedient lil fella. I mean he wasn't exactly keen on the entire confronting Pharaoh and freeing the Isrealites, but he knew that it was his job to follow God's command. It amazes me how many times throughout the story of Moses it just outright says "Moses and Aaron did just as the Lord commanded."

How amazing is that, no ifs, ands, or, buts, or hesitations about just purely and simply carrying out God's command. And it wasn't just one time. It was each and every time God came up with a new way to prove himself to Pharaoh that Aaron and Moses were just like "OK-let's go." It's exciting.

The Apostles were no different as you go through Acts--they were simply carrying out the same command we are all called to do which is to spread the Good News of Jesus. And in many ways the Apostles were facing just as much opposition as Aaron and Moses. But regardless of what forces opposed them, they were obedient, and that is amazing.

Sometimes I am not very obedient.

I guess, in the worldly sense I am. I mean, as far as following rules go, I can do that. I didn't break curfew or backtalk to my mom. I wasn't a regular in detention (although I did land myself in there twice in middle school--once because wearing beaded necklaces was against uniform policy and I argued it was hindering my individuality) and my conscience wouldn't let me skip school (even though I had no qualms about getting "personal field trip forms" to stay home or go to Durham :) ). But in general, I wasn't blatantly going against any preestablished commandments just for the heck of it.

When it comes to God, however, sometimes I'm not such a good kid. There are times when I try to quiet God's voice so I can go along my merry way or when I gossip or lie or get angry or stress and worry that just keep me from following the commands God has laid out.

In Exodus 19:5-6 it says:
"Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed, the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a priestly kingdom and a holy nation."

Now how stupid am I do deny myself being God's "treasured possession" because 9 times out of 10 I just don't feel like being obedient? I'm telling you, human nature makes us kind of stupid sometimes.

I feel like though, the biggest way that I am disobeying God in my life right now, is just by not trusting in Him and surrending every aspect of my life to Him.

I worry. I'm petty. I allow myself to get upset over things I shouldn't care about. Why? Because I am not trusting God the way I should be. Matthew 6:25-34 sums it all up perfectly saying "do not worry about your life" (25) and "indeed your heavenly Father knows what you need" (32).

I need to "seek first the kingdom of God" (33), I believe that it is then I will be spared falling victim to the stupider portion of the human emotional spectrum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke!!!
You are soooo awesome!!! Just what I needed for my break from this stinkin ichthyology paper!!!! I love you so much... I am sad I don't get to hang out with you or talk to you as much as I would like! Keep strutin' your stuff for God! It's good!!!:D

Crystaaaal:D

Anonymous said...

You're so lovely, Brooke. I can't forget Durham. That was just some good road trip fun. By the way, I was with Jayna the other night and we drove past this Catholic church and I thought of you...that sounds stupid, but this is the next part: I've made a new friend named Tommy and he knows his stuff about Catholicism. I swear, if I associate myself with any denomination in the future...it will be Catholicism. You know that.

So, we'll see what happens. Bwahahaha.