Monday, December 06, 2004

Encouragement

So today I was reading through Acts 14 and I came across this verse that I found particularly inspiring:

"There they strengthened the souls of the disciples and encouraged them to continue in the faith, saying 'It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God."
-verse 22

Now keep in mind, this is after Paul was stoned in Lystra and dragged out of the city thought to be dead, and he still continues on his journey and is encouraging others!

Paul amazes me. Really.

One thing I have been coming to realize lately is that importance of encouraging one another. It's kind of funny, as I was reading this verse I realized my bookmark has 1 Thessalonians 5:11 on it which says "Encourage one another and build each other up." Think maybe this is what God wanted me to learn today?

But seriously, I have always enjoyed encouraging people and making them smile on just a regular basis, but it is as of late that I have been realizing the importance to encourage people in their faith. It is a role that God calls us to play and it is acted out so beautifully by Paul throughout the book of Acts.

I don't really have anything eloquent to say on this at the moment, but it's just the simple realization of something small that we can all do to help build up God's kingdom.

Therefore, to all reading this:
I encourage you to keep on keeping on.
I encourage you to seek out God's will and to open your hearts to Him.
I encourage you to smile, laugh, and find joy.
I encourage you to invest in others.
I encourage you to say thank you to the cafeteria workers and the lady who cleans our bathrooms.
I encourage you to pray, and talk to God as a friend, buddy-buddy.
I encourage you to listen to happy music.
I encourage you to read children's poetry and relish in Dr. Seuss.
I encourage you to color, to dance, and to sing at the top of your lungs.
I encourage you stop and watch clouds.
I encourage you to be bold, and to speak out for what you believe in.
I encourage you to do what is right.
I encourage you to think.
I encourage you to notice the little things.
I encourage you to spend more time thanking God for the millions of blessings He has given rather than asking Him for things that we probably don't even need.
And in the spirit of it being finals week, I encourage you to study (like I'm not doing right now)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW Brooke you are so insightful, not joking when i say that. Ive learned a lot from you just by hanging out this semester, you are an awesome person. Keep letting God work in you the way he has and keep growing in him more and more everyday. You have so much to offer the people you meet and your love for God just shines in everything you do! And I encourage you to do well on your exams...good luck this week! -Kt