Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Glimpses of Hope

Despite my best intentions, I'm just not always very domestic. I don't feel any compulsion to keep my house spotless, I willingly let laundry pile up, and I often don't really have the motivation or energy to cook anything that resembles a real, complete meal. Sometimes I wonder how I could ever survive as a wife and/or mother and often just have to hope that if that day comes, some magical switch inside me will flip.

However, tonight I had my after school staff over for a Christmas dinner (they're awesome by the way), and in a matter of an hour and a half, I was able to clean up my apartment and cook a complete and delicious meal. I was able to get all the dishes done before they got here, set up not only appetizer plates for the chips and salsa, but have the drinks, dinner plates, side dishes and even dessert prepared and ready to go before dinner was served. To be honest, I actually quite enjoyed getting it all together and preparing a meal that I knew (ok, hoped) would be enjoyed by the people I was serving. Moments like these give me a glimpse of hope that I'm not a totally lost cause :)

And in case you were wondering, I made enchiladas, and they were awesome. The recipe is below:

Ingredients:
1 lb ground chicken
1 pack of taco seasoning
1 package of creamed cheese
1 can enchilada sauce
flour tortillas
grated cheddar cheese


Instructions:
Brown the ground chicken and add taco seasoning as designated on the package
Melt cream cheese in microwave and add about 1/2 can of enchilada sauce to melted cheese
Mix together browned,seasoned meat and cream cheese mixture
Fill tortilla shells with meat and roll up
Place enchiladas in a baking dish
cover with remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top
cook at 325 for 20 minutes

No comments: