Thursday, December 30, 2010

Everyday Suspense

I love that there are some things, no matter how expected and normal they may be, that can still evoke a sense of suspense in me. Like birthdays or the ending of a favorite movie or book. It's the same thing time after time, but still there is a sense of excitement as it approaches.

Today I experienced some everyday suspense by way of a sunset. The sun sets everyday, and on the days I take the time to notice, I almost always stop to soak it in and think about how good God is. Today, the sunset's sense of suspense was heightened by the fact that while I was driving west on 440, it was mostly hidden from me by trees. All I needed to do was get around the curve and what was currently a hint of pink clouds would be revealed as a full, orange, setting sun that would take up the whole horizon. That curve, however, just didn't seem to end. I kept driving, speeding up unintentionally trying to get a better look. Eventually, I rounded the bend and I was not disappointed. Beautiful. I'm thankful for moments like that.

I also hear the sun rises every morning and the experience can be equally as exciting, but we all know mornings just aren't my thing :)

No comments: