Saturday, May 09, 2009

Catching up is hard to do

Given the reason for my absence the past few days, it would only be appropriate to start off this entry with a big ol' Ahoy There!

The trip to Camp Seafarer was a blast. It was fun to be back in summer camp mode, even if it was only for a few days. The trip was a good reminder of why I love resident camping so much. When you put kids in an environment that is so different from what they experience at home and you live in a cabin with them, you get to see different facets of their personalities and I love that. I love how relaxed camp is and how it just allows you to be away from normal for it a bit. Maybe one day God will put me back into the camping world.

The set-up at Seafarer is pretty sweet. Just about everything is on the water, which is cool; the cabins are huge with lots of room for stuff and hanging out (plus they have bathrooms in them!); the mess hall has a nice set up (I wish I could have seen the kitchen) and they definitely have their mealtimes down to a science. Supervision and accountability was a little more lax than I'm used to in that setting, but it seemed to work. I also liked that it had a very old-school summer camp feel with the bugle and the flag raising/lowering each day.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to work at an all girls camp. I mean, I definitely love being able to pour into young girls, and that would have been an ideal setting, and it definitely cuts out a whole mess of problems by eliminating boys. I have to say that I really enjoyed getting to spend time with the middle school girls this week. It's just fun to see what they get excited about, what they worry about, and to take a moment to be proud when they are doing the right thing and others aren't. The four of us had a rockin' time. I'm really glad I got the chance to go :)

Day Twenty-three (Wednesday):
  1. That God has given me the ability to do decent devotions with teenage girls, even without much notice.
  2. Arriving safely to Seafarer today and for the rain holding off, at least for now
  3. That every group of campers always the one weird kid
  4. Playing kickball
  5. Getting to see how other camps run and what their traditions are
Day Twenty-four (Thursday):
  1. The smell of honeysuckle on a warm breeze
  2. Not waking up to an alarm clock
  3. Getting to try something completely new (Sailing!)
  4. How ridiculous middle schoolers are
  5. That God has given me a liking for the weird kids
Day Twenty-five (Friday):
  1. That no matter how "plugged in" and technologically advanced/demanding kids get, some of the simple joys of childhood are still around
  2. Watching kids have the chance to get really excited about something that is new to them
  3. Going to the movies. It is one of my absolutely favorite things to do (even though I don't do it often because they cost so much)
  4. That my camera arrived and appears to be safe, sound, and in proper working order
  5. Getting to watch and be proud of how well behaved my girls were this week

Updates from my time in NYC are still to come...

No comments: