Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Part of me really wants to teach kindergarten

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like a five-year-old's enthusiasm for life, and that is why, despite my many years of being adamantly opposed to teaching, deep down a part of me really wants to be a kindergarten teacher.

Earlier today, I was sitting at my desk, studying for a philosophy test, when the sound of children hits my ears from outside my window. Naturally, I drop everything to go look and there, right outside my window were 20 or so probably 4 and 5 year olds, collect leaves, kicking dirt, twirling in circles, giggling, screaming, all the with utmost excitement. It brought be such a joy to hear that, and to get to watch it. I couldn't help but smile, and honestly, part of me wanted to cry.

They were collecting leaves that had changed colors to take back to class. So all these youngin's were racing and hurrying to gather as many leaves as they could (as if there aren't a million just sitting out there) and ever so proudly carry them back to their teacher, complete with some comment about how pretty or cool or yellow their leaf was.

Then the wind blew, and I've never heard sweeter squeals of excitement as a whole new batch of leaves came showering down on their heads. It was beautiful.

Luckily, right as I had to leave to go take my test, they too were moving on to some other adventure of fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh you make me want to be 5 years old again! Brooke, you have such a sweet gift with children and i would proudly let you teach my youngin. But the school board letting you teach is another story....